Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The heart of rock 'n' roll is still beating

I don't know why, but I've been thinking a lot about Huey Lewis (and the News) lately. (Midlife crisis/1980s nostalgia? Or perhaps it was seeing him on Hot in Cleveland the other day, if only for a minute.) Anyway, do you really need a reason to listen to Huey Lewis and the News?

[One of my favorite 1980s memories is going to see/hear Huey Lewis and the News in concert, outside, on the Miller High Life pier, one summer. I don't remember much about the concert as I probably had one Miller High Life too many, and I have a vague memory of having to go see a doctor the next day as I couldn't hear anything, having sat way too close to the speakers or something. Anyway...]

Following are video clips of some of my Huey Lewis and the News favorites (presented in no particular order).

First up, "I Want a New Drug." Words to live by.



Next up, "If This Is It."



[Seriously, what is with all the chicks in skimpy swimsuits in these videos? Though at least they don't look like they've had liposuction, breast enlargements, and Botox.]

And last, but in no way least, "The Heart of Rock & Roll."



[Sigh, remember when videos actually had something to do with the lyrics?]

So what was (or is) your favorite Huey Lewis and the News song?

On a (somewhat) related note, against my better judgement, I'm going to attempt to watch American Idol tonight. Here's hoping they finally "discover" an actual rock/pop star.

4 comments:

Steven said...

I know it's a Bruce Hornsby song, but I've always loved this version...and it's live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z02LHM1kROM

Patrick Bateman said...

Although I'm NSFW, I'm partial to "Hip to be Square," myself.

Dave S. said...

This is actually the best HL&N song, thanks for asking.

Minus Huey, the band backed up Elvis Costello on his first album, and also backed up Nick Lowe on this.

Seriously, what is with all the chicks in skimpy swimsuits in these videos?

Sorry, what did you say? Got distracted there.

Sigh, remember when videos actually had something to do with the lyrics?

This makes the same point.

J. said...

@Steven, great song -- both versions.

@Dave S., You will brook no argument from me that Workin' for a Living is one of Huey Lewis and the News's best. (I am also likewise partial to "Hip to be Square.") Thanks, too, for the link to Nick Lowe's "I knew the bride when she used to rock 'n' roll," which I love (and totally forgot about). And agree re "nice video, shame about the song." (Clearly Lady Gaga missed that memo/video.) Now get back to work!