Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscars Shmoscars (Academy Awards highlights)

I have to confess, I am not a big fan of televised awards shows, even the Oscars, but I wound up watching a good chunk of last night's Academy Awards ceremony anyway, even though I hadn't seen most of the films that were nominated.

(I also watched E! Online's Live from the Red Carpet with Ryan Seacrest, which was way better than the ABC version. And frankly, I was puzzled by this year's fashion choices. Zoe Saldana is gorgeous, but that purple and sequined thing she was wearing?! WTF? Also on my worst-dressed list: Mariah Carey, Amanda Seyfried, and Diane Kruger, though there were many, many other stars who when you saw them you thought "WTF were they thinking?!" As for the best dressed? Hands down Tom Ford, who also designed Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin, and Colin Firth's tuxedos.)

Onto the show... Despite the mixed reviews, I liked Neil Patrick Harris's Las Vegas-style opening Oscar number. (If or when How I Met Your Mother goes off the air, I think NPH has a career as an awards show MC.) I also liked Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin as hosts, though I use the word "hosts" loosely as they barely graced the stage after their opening duologue, which was a shame.

As for my favorite moments from last night's Academy Awards show, those would have to be Ben Stiller presenting the award for best makeup and Sandra Bullock's best actress acceptance speech (though Steve Martin's quip to Christoph Waltz cracked me up).





As for the best Oscar song, though, this one may be my all-time favorite. ;-)



Got an opinion about the 82nd Academy Awards (aka the Oscars)? Leave me a comment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It used to be a SHOW! An EVENT! Except at the beginning it was just going through the awards.

I did like the 5 noms each getting a little pat on the back description prior to the award being given.

I like George Clooney-PERIOD!

J. said...

I miss Billy Crystal, the early years.

Also, forgot to mention, I liked the tribute to John Hughes, though could have lived without seeing all those former child actors up on stage looking old and haggard. (Made me feel really old.) Ferris Bueller's Day Off was one of my favorite movies back in the day, and it still cracks me up.

Lizzy said...

It was one of the best Oscars show ever, in my opinion. I haven't seen ANY of the movies nominated, so I almost did not watch the show, but the banter between Alec and Steve pulled me in. They really pushed the envelope with some of their jokes - it was refreshing.

Hollywood takes itself too seriously. (WTF was up with George Clooney's puss face when Alec was poking fun?) Lighten up George! Yes, you are now a "serious" actor who has a great social conscious, but don't forget you got your start on "The Facts of Life!"

Sandra is a breath of fresh air, and I cried when she thanked her Mom in heaven. I also cried when Oprah described Gabby's road to "Precious" while tears rolled down Gabby's face. What a inspirational girl!

The John Hughes tribute was a nice surprise and reminded us how JH was an integral part of our lives as 80's kids.

Thought Sean Penn was stoned..had no idea what he was talking about re: forgetting to thank someone. (Again, he is now a great actor, but he WAS stoner Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High!")

And history was made with the first woman director winning an Oscar (take that ex-husband James Cameron, you narcissistic jerk!)

All in all, a fast and festive 3.5 hours. For once.

Anonymous said...

Sticking up for George-he was playing along with the joke with his puss face!

GSA said...

Like an idiot I watched the whole thing from 8:00 to after midnight. Big disappointment (for me) that The Hurt Locker won, but I guess they wanted a woman director to get it – and to show that Hollywood was in back of Our Boys. I agree about Ben Stiller. He was hilarious. And also about the men’s suits. But they should cut back on the number of “entertainment” features. The dance number toward the end was particularly weak – in terms of the choreography, not the dancers – but the one you liked was fine.

EMM said...

I liked it...agree that the Hughes Movies alum did look tired.

Jeff Bridges did agreat job, however Colin Firth's performance in A Single Man was better.

Thought the opening and the hosts were good...I do miss Billy Crystal.

I do like that they continued with the colleagues' intro to the Best Actor/Actress...probably my favorite part of the show.

George Clooney (love him!!!) is the new Jack Nicholson "go to" joke guy for the Oscars.

Agree w/ Lizzy regarding Sean Penn...I think the reference to forgetting was that he did not mention his now ex-wife Robin Wright when he won his Oscar.

Nobody wanted to see/hear James Cameron accept another Oscar. Didn't he speak in whatever Avatar language during the Golden Globes?

Now, go update your Netflix queue and see if the Academy got it right!!!