Tuesday, March 9, 2010

American Idol Season 9: Top 8 girls perform (UPDATED)

Just call me a glutton for punishment -- or American Idol.

Btw, for those of you who didn't catch American Idol judge Simon Cowell on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Monday, Cowell singled out Crystal Bowersox for special praise. Let's just hope she continues to impress Simon -- and Ellen, Randy, and Kara -- and America.

Now, on with the show. First up tonight on American Idol...

Katie Stevens: Oh well. Nice knowing you, Katie. Maybe next year. You took a chance, made a change, but I'm just not feeling you singing Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway," dawg. Katie has a good voice, but that song seemed forced and was -- all together now -- pitchy. And, I can't believe I'm typing this, but Kara is totally right about Katie having a good voice but not knowing who she is as an artist and needing more experience. Unless she has a lot of friends back in Middlebury, CT, she's gone.

Siobhan Magnus: I. Love. Her. Voice. Period. "House of the Rising Sun" was a risky choice, and it was a little too slow -- or "plodding" as Simon said -- but, as Randy would say, Siobhan can blow. I cast my first vote for Siobhan. See you in the Top 12, Ms. Magnus (and hopefully for many weeks to come).

Lacey Brown: So here's "the story" on Lacey, she's got an usual voice, with a dash of Stevie Nicks, and it wasn't a bad performance -- in fact, probably her best performance to date, per both me and the judges -- but it just didn't quite work. I'm with Simon on this one: didn't like the song, but Lacey sang it well. She'll probably make it into the Top 12, but I just don't see Lacey as the next American Idol.

Katelyn Epperly: My favorite Katelyn Epperly performance of the season -- and so far my favorite performance of the evening (J-THREE-O thought so too). No, I did not feel the earth move under my couch, but I'm moved enough to cast my second vote for Katelyn. Maybe. (The spouse, like the judges, found the performance a bit flat.)

Didi Benami: Whyyyyy iiiiiiisssss everyyyyy sooooongggg soooo slooooow toniiiiiiight? Another good -- or OK -- performance, but not great. Too slow. Yeah, she switched it up, and yeah, it was better than last week. And I like Didi's voice. But like Randy said, there were no great moments. (TOTALLY disagree with Kara and Simon that it was great. WHA?!)

Paige Miles: COULD ONE CONTESTANT, ONE, PICK A NON-DEPRESSING SONG THAT DOESN'T TAKE FIVE HOURS TO SING, PLEASE? That performance made me want to reach for a Cymbalta with a vodka chaser. Paige totally turned that "Smile" upside down. Buh-bye.

Crystal Bowersox: For the record, I LOVE Tracy Chapman's "Give me one reason." One of my all-time favorite songs. And no matter how good Crystal does with the song, I will always prefer Chapman's version. Sorry, Crystal fans (of which, btw, I am one). OK. So I really liked Crystal's version of "Give me one reason," and I agree with the judges, that that was the best performance of the night, and she is the one to beat -- and you can totally see what kind of artist Crystal is and what kind of record she would make. But I still prefer Tracy Chapman's version. See you in the Top 3, Crystal.

Lilly Scott: Okay, I did not fall to pieces when I heard Lilly sing Patsy Cline. Again, not a bad performance, but certainly not a great one. (As Simon said, it did not have the "wow factor.") A little too karaoke at the country and western bar for me. But Lilly will be around for at least another week.

My prediction: Paige Miles and Katie Stevens will be voted off, though it could be Paige and Katelyn Epperly. Will update the post with the results Thursday night.

J-TWO-O out.

UPDATED 3/11/10: Whoa. Didn't see that coming. Paige Miles is SAFE and Katelyn Epperly is the one from the back row who's going home. Didn't think Katelyn would be our next American Idol but didn't see Paige being safe tonight.... Funniest moment of the evening: Season 8 blind Idol contestant Scott MacIntyre telling Ryan Seacrest "It's great to see you again, Ryan!".... Second chippy going home is... WHOA... Lilly Scott. So wrong. So so so wrong. I seriously thought she was one of the best women on Idol this season, a real contender. Either people thought she was safe or they didn't get her (maybe put off by her white hair?). Maybe Ellen DeGeneres will get Lilly a recording contract. Majorly bummed...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is-Pfeeeeeettt. Ick! I tried, but not planning to show up again until there is 5 weeks left and what is left is okay.

Chick said...

I believe that Lily Scott has more than people are giving her credit for. Like or hate her soft-to-belt delivery, her style is extremely unique. I'll be watching her as a darkhorse winner from the female side.

Madam Toussaint said...

I think it's a problem when the judges single out a winner so early. They were wrong about Adam Lambert anyway.

Katie Stevens: "Pitchy" hahaha. It's so funny when they say that. It's like the theme of the show. That and "I don't what kind of artist you are". I missed her performance. Good singer but I didn't miss much did I?

Siobhan Magnus: I still dig her strange but something's missing when she sings. She is the only one I'm really on the edge of my seat when it comes to song choice. I never know what she's going to do and that's a good thing.

Note: Why do they keep telling people they'll be around next week? They don't project farther than that anymore these days. Maybe that's another sign it doesn't matter cause it's all about Mamasox

Lacey Brown: No she's not the Next American Idol but she does have a special voice. I thought she was better much earlier on before the live performances like so many others.

Katelyn Epperly: She's so cute but I think a bit too cocky. She can play all these instruments and I think she's really pissed it's not more valued. Dude, she's going home. Sorry :(

Didi Benami: I would think they would go for more upbeat songs...I like her voice a lot too, but no special moments.

Paige Miles: I think she can sing and is comfortable performing but that was soooo hard to watch. Also the contacts- kind of weird.

Crystal Bowersox: I wondered why she didn't go for "Fast Car" or something but Bowersox shines with these womanly love songs, like "Natural Woman".
"See you in the Top 3, Crystal"-Hey why not Top 2? J-TWO-O who are you thinking will be up there with her? And who going to win?

Lilly Scott: I keep expecting her to sing a Courtney Love / Hole song. Patsy Cline...OK.

You're right, who is dressing these people? It does look like a Forever 21 exploded. Ever since one of your commenters said that it's been so distracting for me :)

J. said...

@Madam Toussaint: My top four -- or who should be the top four -- (with apologies to @Chick) are Crystal Bowersox, Siobhan Magnus, Casey James, and Lee Dewyze. Unlike the judges, I feel it's too early to call the winner or the "one to beat." Every week has brought surprises, and we have a loooong way to go yet.

Btw, it was a friend of mine who watches "Project Runway" who left the Forever 21 comment, and I agree with her.

Madam Toussaint said...

Not bad top 4. Sometimes I wonder if Siobhan Magnus is too strange for people. Maybe that was Lilly's mistake. That Forever 21 comment still has me cracking up! It's funny cause it's true lol