Saturday, October 10, 2009

My dinner with Giada (De Laurentiis)

and Zac Posen and Marcus Samuelsson, at the James Beard House, part of the New York City Wine & Food Festival. (For an overview of the event, called Food Meets Fashion, and the menu, click here.)

While the food -- and the wine -- was very good, what really blew me (and the spouse) away was how lovely, gracious, and modest Giada De Laurentiis, Zac Posen, and Marcus Samuelsson were.

Designer (and nice Jewish boy) Zac Posen greeted me with a big smile and bigger "hello" as I walked into the kitchen (terrified) at the James Beard House. I spoke, several times, with Giada De Laurentiis, and was her unofficial photographer, taking pictures of her with various guests. And Marcus Samuelsson of Aquavit told a hysterical story about "smuggling" spices back from his village in Ethiopia whenever he visited there, when I asked him about the spices in his slow-cooked organic chicken with foie gras, pumpkin puree, and creamed greens.

It was a delightful evening, which I will not soon forget.




















6 comments:

EMM said...

That sounded like a perfect evening! You look great in your photo w/ Giada. I do like her style, plus she's classicly trained and knows her stuff.

David T. said...

Very cool!

Another David S. said...

Wow, that is one fine-looking woman. But...who's the blonde with the enormous teeth?

D.

jjv said...

Dave, I would think you would recognize a redhead when you saw one. Very cool post all around.

J. said...

@jjv and @Another David S.: I would think you two would recognize a natural brunette when you saw one. ; ) Giada's hair is brown, with (salon done) honey highlights, though she often looks more blonde than brunette on TV/when she's just had her hair colored.

@EMM: Thanks! We had a good time. And Giada is a class act (as were/are Zac Posen and Marcus Samuelsson).

Dave S. said...

JJV, I am not Another David S....

Great pictures and it sounds like a great time!