Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Secret to Happiness

Nineteen years ago today, I went on one of the worst blind dates ever. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but I swore at the end of it I would never go out with that guy again.

Of course, I wound up marrying that guy. (Moral of the story: Don't judge a person by the first date.)

Jump to this morning at the gym, where I spied an older man working out across from me who was wearing a sweatshirt with the words "Yes, dear." on it. I couldn't help but smile. The man saw me smiling and shouted "I've been married 65 years!" and gave me a big smile. I then asked, "So, did your wife give you that sweatshirt?" And he replied, "No, the kids did, for our anniversary."

A few minutes later, as I was lifting (or rather pulling) weights a little ways away, the man walked over to me and said "You keep that up young lady and you'll look as good as I do at 89!"

While clearly no spring chicken, this man in no way looked 89 years old -- more like 89 years young. So I asked him, "What's your secret?" His immediate reply: "The love of a good woman."

I then told him that I had met my husband 19 years ago today, and he beamed at me and said "Good for you! He's a lucky man."

Yes, he is.

Btw, that picture in the upper right-hand corner? It's called "The Secret to Happiness Sweatshirt."

Wishing all of you happiness, this holiday season and beyond.

6 comments:

Anderson said...

Well...aren't WE the happy little bluebird today.

Anonymous said...

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time"
James Taylor

Anonymous said...

Picking up older married men in gym??? Now J-not the way to STAY married!!

Kendor said...

As she tells it Date 2 was much much better. I don't remember Date 1 being that bad (otherwise I'm thinking there wouldn't have been a Date 2), but guys are clueless (which is something I've learned over the years)... While "Yes Dear,"definitely factors into the equation, I think the key to success is laughter... we still make each other laugh (a lot)... and of course food (which I purportedly don't provide enough of).

P.S. and reading her blog, and occasionally commenting

EMM said...

What a lovely story! Congrats...I need to take your advice and not judge first dates so harsly.

Mazel tov!

J. said...

@Kendor, You don't feed me enough. :-)

@Anderson, Any chance you are Anderson Cooper? :-)

@Anonymous #2, He picked me up!