Friday, December 11, 2009

Oy Hanukkah

Today is the 25th day of Kislev. And you know what that means, boys and girls! Yes, it's Hanukkah time again! Time to light some candles, eat some latkes, spin that dreidel, and pass out some presents (before you pass out) -- and pretend for eight nights that Hanukkah is way better and cooler than Christmas.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
A Colbert Christmas: Jon Stewart
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorU.S. Speedskating

Hanukkah was also an excuse for Utah Senator and lifelong Barbra Streisand fan Orrin Hatch to get his Jew on:

Eight Days of Hanukkah from Tablet Magazine on Vimeo.

You can read more about Senator Hatch's catchy new Hanukkah tune, titled "Eight Days of Hanukkah," here and here. (The latter is a MUST read, though I could have lived without knowing Orrin Hatch penned love songs.)

Personally, I prefer Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song:



I also prefer Christmas, or, as a certain friend/fellow blogger refers to it, "The Holiday for Everyone" (unless, of course, you are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or an Atheist), though I do adore a nice crisp latke with a little apple sauce and the Menorah is kind of pretty when it's all lit up.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a pile of presents to wrap.

UPDATED 12/13/09
(the third night of Hanukkah/Chanukah): Just came across this cover of Adam Sandler's "Chanukah Song" -- by Neil Diamond -- and had to include.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much do I love Jon and Steve?

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MUCH!!!!

Dave S. said...

Some bloggers are so insensitive.

I cannot bring myself to watch the Hatch video.

EMM said...

Loved Stewart & Colbert!!!

I do enjoy a good latke, whitefish salad and a bagel w/ a schmear! Thank God for my Jewish friends from college.

Happy Hanukkah!

Ryan said...

Sandler's song is a classic! Also check out Whoring For Hanukkah (naughty but SFW): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gITprYf3q0Y