Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another '80s music flashback blog post

All these flashbacks to Prince Charles and Lady Diana's wedding and videos of the royal couple with a little Prince William have gotten me thinking about the 1980s again, particularly the music I listened to back then (which, if you follow this blog, was a lot of British New Wave and techno pop). My favorite radio station? WLIR, 92.7. And these were some of my favorite bands and singers (all of which, I believe, were British or Scottish... hmm...).

First up, Thomas Dolby, whose song "Europa and the Pirate Twins" made me a huge Thomas Dolby fan...



I was also a big fan of the Eurythmics. Interestingly, I was driving with my daughter the other day and "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" was on the radio and she wanted to know who this cool new band was (I am paraphrasing). Proof that everything old or 1980s is new again.



And look what I just stumbled on on YouTube, Blancmange's "Living on the Ceiling"! I'm so small, I'm so small...



Which led me to Bananarama's "Really Saying Something."



Which led me to.... I could go on and on, but I think that's enough 1980s music for one blog post. If you want to see and hear more, check out my other 1980s music posts (by clicking on the link). And as always, please share some of your favorite 1980s musical memories in the Comments.

Seriously, what did we do before YouTube? (Also, I miss my MTV -- the MTV that used to only play music videos not show these crappy "reality" shows.)

9 comments:

Betty Cracker said...

Ah, memories. We have an 80s station in my local market, which Young Miss C used to listen to without complaint when we were in the car together. She's recently started lobbying for the top 40s station.

And you know what? Some of it's actually pretty good. There's a lot of crap, of course, but there was a lot of crap in the 80s / 90s too.

PS: I'd forgotten all about that Europa and the Pirate Twins tune. Thanks for the ear worm! :-)

Anonymous said...

What crazy videos with poor production values! But I love Annie Lenox -- she is one of the coolest chicks ever.

JWT said...

Satellite radio has a station called "First Wave" that I'm sure you'd love. You don't find "Haircut 100" played just anywhere these days.

J. said...

@JWT: I love, love (plus one) Haircut 100, especially "Favorite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)"! SQUEEEE. So where do I find First Wave on the satellite dial? (The spouse has Sirius.0

@Betty: Wish we had an 80s station here. And J-THREE-O and I are very into Top 40 music, though it's more like Top 10 right now (and am currently sick of everything).

JWT said...

On Sirius, it's channel 22. Patience will reward you with Alphaville, Talk Talk, The Smiths, The Alarm, and Public Image Ltd, among others. My wife complains that there's too much Pretenders (she's right), and I complain that they play too much Duran Duran (I'm right), but it's a small price to pay.

BTW, my 8 year old son's favorite band is currently New Order.

Another David S. said...

If you want a good mix of '80s pop/rock, Pandora's 80s Pop Radio channel will regularly get you feeling all squishy and nostalgic--and I didn't even like most of that stuff when it was current! Give it a shot. Oh, and speaking of Pandora, it's definitely worth getting an annual subscription if you listen regularly--the ads can get a bit annoying.

J. said...

@JWT, shortly after you left the last comment, I happened to be driving with spouse and turned on the radio, which was tuned to 22. Apparently my daughter had found the station before me. :-)

@Another David S., if I actually listened to music outside my car (and J-THREE-O controls the music there) or when shopping, I would definitely get a subscription to Pandora.

JWT said...

A snapshot of stuff that happens to me: Just as I gave the channel a plug, it seems that Sirius is rejiggering its roster. As of Wednesday May 4, First Wave is moving to channel 33.

I think string theory must have it in for me, because the cosmos loves to muck things up as soon as I've passed through.

Anonymous said...

Any 80s music buff or British music fan ought to listen to Radio Creme Brulee. It is an American internet radio station but it eclipses ALL top 40 or 80s music over-the-air stations in the US. Google "radio creme brulee" and you will find it! That being said, the Brits ruled the 80s - Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Def Leppard, George Michael. The list is endless!