Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Let's talk turkey (and football)

For the first time in memory, I am spending Thanksgiving (also known as Turkey Day) at home this year. And that's just fine by me. Not that there is anything wrong with spending Thanksgiving away from home.

All of my life (as far back as I can remember), I have enjoyed Thanksgiving in someone else's home (mainly my aunt and uncle's, who put out a great spread but live about 3 hours away and my neck and back can't take the long car trip at this point) or else at some hotel somewhere (typically someplace warmer and/or more exotic than here, often involving chocolate). But I am quite looking forward to making the traditional Thanksgiving meal, in my own kitchen, with the spouse and the kid; eating it right here; and then watching the Jets tackle the Bengals.

Anyway, for those who are interested, here is what we are making for our first Thanksgiving:

Brined and roasted turkey (courtesy of Emeril Lagasse)

Simple and amazing cranberry sauce

Mushroom stuffing (courtesy of Rachael Ray)


Brussel sprouts

And for dessert:

Mark Sanchez
. Oops. I meant Paula Deen's pumpkin cheesecake. ;-)

(Can you tell we watch a LOT of Food Network, can you?)

Speaking of Mark Sanchez -- and the New York Jets -- could you guys please win a football game by the start of the fourth quarter and spare us fans having to make appointments to get fitted for a pacemaker? You boys are killing me. Though considering the amount of turkey I plan on consuming tomorrow, I may not be able to stay awake into the fourth quarter of tomorrow night's Jets vs. Cincinnati Bengals matchup at home (in New Jersey) at New Meadowlands Stadium.

In the meantime, I wish everyone reading this blog post a very happy Thanksgiving. I am grateful -- and will be giving thanks -- for each one of you.

Also, GO JETS!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My pacemaker is being fitted this afternoon-after all, the Jets play to the level of their foes! Ugh!!!

And, I am having Mark Sanchez for dessert! Cat Fight (it is a cat blog-yes?)

I am all about the gravy!

GOOBLE GOOBLE!

Anonymous said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave S. said...

No rutabagas?!

The Daily Del Franco said...

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving, more like Thanksgiving traditions, which in my family, involve eating lasagna and antipasta before the turkey and watching the Cowboys (usually) dismantle an opponent.

In fact, it wasn't until recently, that I learned that not everyone ate this way.

Someone cue up "Alice's Restaurant" and for the record I'll be having Scarlett Johansen for dessert.

EMM said...

Sounds yummy. I'm wating for my last batch of spuds to finish cooking. I'm mashing 15 lbs for tomorrow's fete. Am excited for the rutabagas too! Also ready to go are the vegetarian dressing and a sun-dried tomato pesto dip.

larissa said...

It's all side dishes
Bird is inconsequential
Let's save the turkeys!

Charlene said...

Except for the one yeart when I cooked, in all the 22 years I was married we never had Thanksgiving at home. We went to my Mom's for lunch and his parents for Supper, then a long trip back home.

I always told him we should have our own traditons for the holidays, but we never did.

Ralph Michael Hass said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too J!
Be thankful the Buffalo Bills beat the Bengals last weekend to deflate any remaining hope they had this season. The Bills always seem to have Cincinnati's number! Should be an easy win for the Jets tomorrow...

We'll see you and the Jets on January 2nd. Hopefully that game will mean something still.

Best,
Ralph Hass

J. said...

@Anonymouses: Only one team will emerge victorious. (And I'm really hoping it will be the Jets.)

@Dave S.: No rutabagas. Just brussel sprouts.

@The Daily Del Franco: Nothing wrong with a little lasagna and antipasta.

@EMM: Nice to see your comment. Fifteen pounds?! Yikes.

@Larissa: The world could do with a few less turkeys. Oh wait, were you talking about the bird?

@Charlene: Traditions are good -- and good to have/start some of your own.

@HasTheVoice.com: Always great to hear from you, Ralph. Hope you're right about the Bills knocking the stuffing out of the Bengals, but I am braced for another nail-biter. Right now, we're rooting for the Lions. ;-)