Thursday, August 27, 2009

How to get more women to watch football: Get more QBs like NY Jets' Mark Sanchez

For those who haven't heard (and care), yesterday the New York Jets announced that rookie Mark Sanchez will be their new starting quarterback when their season opens Sunday, September 13. While I feel bad for perennial also-ran Kellen Clemens, I, like many of the sports writers here in the Tri-State area (NY-NJ-CT), feel that Sanchez was the right call, though probably for different reasons.

Sure, sure, Sanchez led the USC Trojans to a 12-1 season last year, including routing Penn State at the Rose Bowl, and he's won all sorts of awards for his football prowess. But how does he stack up to the likes of Tom Brady?

Well, my friends, just take a look...

Schwing! (Or whatever the female equivalent is.)

Truly, it is a shame to make that man wear a jersey all the time. But rules are rules. And I guess it's good for commerce. (For the record, 6 is my lucky number -- and the date of my birth. Karma?) Btw, to see more pix of Mark "Cougar Bait" Sanchez on the beach, check out GQ's "Built for the Beach" piece featuring Sanchez and supermodel Hilary Rhoda (some eye candy for my male readers).

Truth be told, I would watch the Jets anyway -- and will. (Only two more weeks until the 2009-2010 NFL season officially starts!) But to paraphrase Marilyn Monroe as Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, You wouldn't watch a quarterback just because he's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help? Yup.

(Note to readers: I will officially be breaking out the thongs on September 13.)

9 comments:

Betty Cracker said...

"Cougar Bait," lol!

TommyMac71 said...

Okay. While I would love more women to watch football, I would also like them to be interested in the game.

I do not want people telling me how Sanchez looks like Vinny Chase, ask why their pants are so tight, and in a related question, why they actually call it a tight end, followed by giggles -- and then sighs that football is soooooo boring.

Buy the GQ, get a poster. Don't watch and drool and babble. The Jets are frustrating enough

Mona said...

Helllooooo Baaaabyyyy

larissa said...

Straight from the O C
My fantasy team needs him
Even if I lose!

J. said...

@TommyMac71, Baby steps. When I first started seriously watching football, trying to understand the game, I would ask a lot of questions and make stupid jokes and my brother-in-law once (or twice) threatened to send me to "the babe section" at a Chicago sports bar. Now I watch games at home, even if/when the spouse isn't around, and, as I recall, I can hold my own at any sports bar. However, good point about the poster. Wonder if the spouse would mind if I hung it next to the bed...

@Betty, @Mona: Yup.

@Larissa: Every fantasy could use a Mark Sanchez, team or no team. ; )

Dan said...

You women are so simplistic and predictable. You all just think with your .... well, um, you know.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!

J. said...

I believe "brain" was the word you were looking for, Dan.

Dave S. said...

You mean if I kept my mouth shut and pretended not to know anything about football I would have been banished to the babe section of the sports bar?

Dammit!