Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What kind of guy wears this t-shirt?

So the other day in Washington, D.C., at the National Museum of American History, I run into (not literally) a guy wearing the t-shirt at left, which (if you cannot read it) says: "I am the man from Nantucket."

And I am pretty sure the t-shirt was not referring to the version of the limerick that appeared in the Princeton Tiger in 1902.

Of course being well-versed in limericks, I did a bit of a double-take when I saw the t-shirt -- especially as the man wearing it looked NOTHING like the model above but was rather paunchy, with thinning hair, in his mid-50s, and was with his wife and kids. (At least they looked like they were together.)

Which leads me to the title of today's post: What kind of guy wears a t-shirt that says "I am the man from Nantucket"? Also, what woman would allow her husband to go to a family museum wearing a t-shirt that says "I am the man from Nantucket"?

[Note: Keep those comments clean, people. Especially you, JB.]

4 comments:

Dave S. said...

I don't know, it beats the families that dress in the exact same outfit* and stand to the left on the Metro escalators.

Was the Bishop of Birmingham in attendance as well?

*with the invisible lettering "Please mug me"

Anonymous said...

You know, he could have been from Nantucket. People (me-for several years) do live there. FOR REALS!!

jjv said...

Three types of men:

1. Those inordinantly proud of their equipment.

2. Those extremely sensitive about the their equipment.

3. Men from Nantucket.

J. said...

@jjv: LOL. Thank you.