Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks

As Thanksgiving is only two days away, I thought this an appropriate time and space to give thanks to all the people, things, and events I am thankful for this year.

I am thankful...

* that I have a spouse who not only loves me but supports all of my endeavors, including this blog (on which he often comments).

* that I have a daughter who can't say "I love you" enough; who does her homework without being asked; and who loves to learn and to read and to write. (Now if only we could get her to clean up after herself....)

* to have two affectionate cats who keep me company and make me laugh in sickness and in health (one of whom is currently batting a rubber ball all over our wooden-floored house and the other of whom is pawing my hands as I type and swishing her tail across my monitor).

* for all of YOU, my blog readers, especially the ones who take the extra time to leave a comment. (With special shout outs to Dave S., who is like the brother I never had and always wanted -- and was the one who encouraged me to blog, and EMM, who makes me laugh, over at Potpourri for $500; Larissa and her haikus; my mother, who reads EVERY blog post, bless her, and always emails me a nice comment; "Moishie," also one of my most devoted readers, who leaves me funny comments; Tommy over at Blah Blog Blah; "Betty" over at Betty Cracker, one of the best political blogs to come out of this election year; and Melanie, the estimable mistress of BeanPaste, one of the funniest, sweetest, and tastiest blogs on the Web, who gave me two honorable mentions and links recently, for which I am most grateful.)

* similarly that there is this wondrous thing called "the blogosphere," which has given me (and a lot of other folks, for better and/or for worse) an outlet to say the things (well, at least some of the things) I've always wanted to say or write -- and allowed me to discover many other wonderful writers, thinkers, and photographers (many of whom are listed in my blogroll, to the right, which I recommend you check out) whom I may not otherwise have known about.

* for the work opportunities I have had and the new ones awaiting me.

* for the roof over my head, especially now that it no longer leaks.

* for the delicious food I hope to be eating over Thanksgiving break.

* for my health and the good health of my family and friends.

* that BOTH the Jets and the Giants are in first place. (And Lord, if it's not too much to ask, a Jets vs. Giants Super Bowl XLIII?)

* that Barack Hussein Obama will be our 44th President -- and that Sarah Palin will NOT be the Vice President (at least not for the next four years). For both these things, I am especially grateful.

What are you grateful for this Thanksgiving? Leave a comment and let me know.

8 comments:

TommyMac71 said...

I am thankful to football, beer, sex and pumpkin pie!!!

Seriously, thankful for family, such close friends and for the creative community that allow us to write, express ourselves, and feel every day.

Thanks J for your blog. I'm thankful it's here every day.

J. said...

Thank you, Tommy. That may have been the sweetest thing you've ever written.

And for those who haven't read it, do check out Tommy's blog, Blah Blog Blah, which currently has a very funny post up about "Twilight," vampires, and movies.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I'll have to get back to you on the thankfulness thing -- an embarrassment of riches in that department!

But speaking of football, I'm thankful the Gators came back from their catastrophic loss to Ole Miss and are back in the title hunt if they can beat FSU and 'Bama.

RE: the Giants and the Jets: So it's possible to root for 2 teams from the same town? I thought people who were fond of a team that had a cross-town (or even state) rival were honor-bound to hate and despise the other team.

For instance, I've never heard of someone who likes both the White Sox and Cubs. Or the Raiders and 49ers. I myself would root for the Taliban over Florida State. Maybe I should get out more...

EMM said...

Thanks J! After the obvious family, friends, health and swanky new job thanks, I'm thankful that I have a voice.

I'm thankful that 2008, while challenging was one of the best years ever; first Fat Tire, Vail, P4500, Nationals Baseball and my awesome seats, Southpark, Top Chef, Food Network, Divisidero, Shoes, Al's Pizza, Festivus, Voting (even for the losing team), new friends ;) and good thoughts for 2009!

J. said...

The Taliban, Betty?! That is a wee bit harsh, don't you think? ; )

As for cross-town rivalries, you are correct. Did you catch Obama's press conference yesterday -- his apology for seating a reporter who is a White Sox fan in the Cubs section? It was hysterical.

As for me, while I LOATHE the Yankees (being a long-time Mets fan), I have/bear no such animosity towards the Jets. Go figure. But I've never been one to be easily pegged. However, if it came down to a Jets vs. Giants Super Bowl, I would be rooting harder for the Giants.

Anonymous said...

Hope you and yours have a very happy holiday!

Dave S. said...

I am thankful for my wife and family, our new house (in a neighborhood where J and her family should seriously consider moving to), and all of my friends of both the blogging and non-blogging variety. Also Festivus.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

days blur together
i am late as usual
thankful for you too