Sunday, June 22, 2008

Who will "Meet the Press" on Sunday mornings?

I think more than enough has been said and written about Tim Russert, the very popular host of "Meet the Press," and the Washington Bureau Chief for NBC News, who died unexpectedly the afternoon of Friday, June 13. That said, I am going to add my (brief) thoughts on Mr. Russert and "Meet the Press" to the blogosphere anyway.

I first heard about Tim Russert's untimely passing while driving into D.C. the afternoon of June 13, literally minutes after his death had been announced. My first reaction was disbelief: How could this larger than life figure be dead? But by the time I made it to my hotel, having listened to NPR say it again and again, I realized it was true.

Like many people, my spouse and I referred to "Meet the Press" simply as "Russert," as in, "Who's on 'Russert' this Sunday?" or "Did you happen to catch any of 'Russert' Sunday?" Unable to watch at home, due to a young child who required my undivided attention, I have, over the years, timed my Sunday gym visits specifically so I could watch most of "Meet the Press" or timed laundry folding so I could watch at least some of it.

When it came to election coverage, I tended to watch (and still do) NBC or MSNBC, in large part due to Tim Russert (though I also enjoy the verbal stylings and political acumen of Tom Brokaw, Brian Williams, who is hosting the show today, David Gregory, Andrea Mitchell, Mike Barnicle, and most recently Rachel Maddow, all of whom are MSNBC regulars).

My spouse and I even occasionally watched Russert's one-on-one interview show (whose name escapes me and which I cannot find by Googling) which aired on Saturday nights. I didn't always agree with Russert, but he was the best game in town if the game was politics or political punditry.

When I went to the Newseum that Saturday morning (something everyone visiting D.C. who cares about history or journalism should do), I was somewhat surprised to see they had already erected a Tim Russert memorial in the lobby. And you couldn't turn on cable TV -- or read a paper or listen to NPR -- without hearing someone talking about him.

Watching and listening to all these heartfelt tributes and recollections, it struck me: this man was truly loved. LOVED. Not in that superficial, "love ya," double-air-kiss kind of way but in the I-can't-imagine-life-or-Sundays-without-you kind of way. His colleagues loved him. His family loved him. His friends loved him. And his hometown of Buffalo, NY. They all LOVED him -- and he them. In this day and age of "what have you done for me lately" or "what are you going to do for me" friendships, especially within the Beltway, that was -- and is -- truly remarkable.

Watching Mike Barnicle's eulogy during the memorial service held at the Kennedy Center Wednesday afternoon, I found myself wishing (praying?) that someone, some day would speak as eloquently and as lovingly and as humorously of me when I died. (Maria Shriver's eulogy, on the other hand, I thought was was rather self-serving and a bit mean, though I am sure Shriver thought it was witty and cute.)

As for "Meet the Press," while it may be "crass," as many folks have said or written to think about replacing Russert already, let's get real. While no one can "replace" Russert, the show needs a regular host, preferably someone with serious political chops who can remain neutral.

This article from MecuryNews.com I thought did a nice job of running down "some names that have been raised amid the speculative chatter" re who should take over as moderator of "Meet the Press," including many -- namely Tom Brokaw, Andrea Mitchell, and Gwen Ifill -- who I think would do a good job, too. (I would also add Rachel Maddow to the list, though as a left-leaning/Liberal lesbian, I doubt she has much of a chance, but go ahead NBC and prove me wrong. And I would immediately cross off Joe Scarborough, Chris Matthews, and Keith Olbermann, who are all too opinionated, for better or worse. And while I liked her on "The Today Show," I do not think Katie Couric would be a good choice either.)

No matter who becomes the new moderator, however, though I am curious to see how Brian Williams does this morning, the rest of this election cycle will not be the same without Timothy Joseph Russert.

SUNDAY 11:30 AM UPDATE: As I was working out on the elliptical trainer at the gym, flipping channels during a commercial break on "Meet the Press," CNN announced that Tom Brokaw would be taking over moderator duties on "Meet the Press" through the 2008 presidential election. I think it is a great choice (though Brian Williams did a fine job this morning, though I think he went a bit easy on Biden and Graham). Welcome, Mr. Brokaw.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was shocked and horrified by the news too. It's tough to imagine an election without Russert. I have serious issues with how the media in general cover politics in the US, and Russert's coverage is no exception (though often better than his colleagues' work). But he was clearly a decent guy who was fascinated by politics and politicians.

As for MTP going forward, I'd love to see Maddow get a shot. But like you said, it's not all that likely. Maybe they'll give it to Gregory after Brokaw's stint is up and give Maddow Gregory's prime time slot.

Lietzy said...

We had lunch yesterday with Michelle Jaconi, one of Russert's producers. She wrote this wonderfully moving eulogy which you can find here. http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2008/06/18/a-meet-the-press-producer-remembers-russert/#more-2340

J. said...

Interesting thought about Gregory and Maddow, Betty. My spouse also thinks David Gregory would be a good host, though he's not currently my first choice.

And thank you, Lietzy, for that link. EVERYONE READING THIS should check out that eulogy -- and have or be as good a boss as Tim Russert. I had tears in my eyes.