Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Just say "no" to designer dogs

Just like some hybrid vehicles, some hybrid dogs make sense. Others beg the question, why bother? (Or, What were they thinking?!) In many cases, the non-hybrid version was just fine or even better (and often cuter, in the case of dogs). I mean, whose brilliant idea was a chorkie? Does the world really need a yippier dog?

And, please, someone explain the point of combining a Bichon Frise and a poodle? Isn't that kind of redundant? (Though I will admit this particular "Poochon" or "Bichpoo" is pretty adorable.)

I know cockapoos have been around for a while...

And puggles are kind of cute...

Okay, really cute.

But airedoodles? Augies? Baskimos? A Bowzer (Hey, wasn't that the guy from Sha-Na-Na?) Chimation? (Is that some new form of digital animation out of Chicago?) A chiweenie? (That is just wrong on so many levels.) Cojack? (I think someone's been watching a little too much late-night TV.) Dorkie? (No comment.) Pekepoo? (Yeah, I see you.) The list goes on and on (literally).

This kind of canine engineering is almost as bewildering (and troubling) as those asinine Brooke Shields commercials for the new Volkswagen Routan promoting German engineering. (Btw, anyone else out there freaked or creeped out by the words "German engineering" in regard to bearing children?)

So, please, dog fanciers, I beg you, let dogs be dogs. If your poodle wants to get it on with that long-haired chihuahua down the block, fine. But let us not encourage or profit from such unnatural (and perhaps dangerous) liaisons.

8 comments:

Dave S. said...

One advantage of hybrids (with poodles specifically IIRC) is the adding of non-shedding characteristics to various breeds for hypoallergenic purposes. Mixed breeds also tend to be healthier overall than purebreds.

On the other hand, and this is the biggest argument against more specialized designer breeds, the shelters are full of wonderful purebred and mixed-breed dogs looking for homes. There are also "rescue societies" for specific breeds. Adopt!

TommyMac71 said...

Asinine or not, I could watch Brooke Shields ads all day long....me-ow!

I like my idea for a mixed breed. Lhasa Apsos and Shih Tzus. They are similar dogs anyway, and can be called Lhasa Shihtz

J. said...

Hey, I am all for letting NATURE take its course and for mutts.

I am also a BIG advocate of pet adoption (dogs and cats) and adopted all my cats (no dogs yet) from shelters.

Anonymous said...

How awful for the mutts that don't make the cut....

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of you. There are legitimate reasons (allergies) that people purchase these hybrids but as Dave and S. pointed out, animal shelters are over-filled with animals who need homes - most of these shelter animals will be put down because of the ability to "buy" pets. People should look in a shelter for the pet they want - shelters have purebreds and mixes. You can find your preference (even for a designer pet) if you search on-line first and list your preference. Breeding dogs and cats should not be a "business".

EMM said...

I like the VW ads. See your point about the German Engineering. I look at them as a crazy sort of insult to Tom Cruise and Scientology (don't ask me to explain why).

Don't have any pets but will someday get a rescue dog, hopefully a golden retriever.

Woof!

Anonymous said...

I have friends who have a "schnoodle" (schnauzer-poodle mix). Cute dog, but I was surprised they paid big bucks for it.

RE: the VW ads, I don't get the old Beetle with the microphone bit. Maybe it's some cultural reference that goes over my head. I drive a Beetle (albeit a newer one), and it's never said a word. Even the horn doesn't work.

Anonymous said...

I have a "chorkie" that I did rescue before being sent to the pound. I never used to like little dogs but he is NOT a yapper at all. In fact, he is the quietest (and cutest) dog I've ever owned. So don't down the chorkie!! :)