Tuesday, March 25, 2008

This post is dedicated to my accountant, Ben

Why? Because Ben asked me to. (And because Stephen Colbert's people have yet to get back to me.) Said if I wrote about him, he'd read my blog, even though he is surrounded by (albeit very neat) piles of W-2s and 1099s and tax forms and has barely seen his wife and children for weeks.

So Ben, this post is for you, and for all the hard-working accountants out there who come March and April go from being Clark Kents to Supermen, fighting for truth, justice, and a tax refund.

Why do I like Ben? Let me count the ways.

1. There is that refund thing, though better to owe (assuming you are not paying quarterly estimates) or break even (if you do) than give the government an interest-free loan for 12 months, though we all know you cannot predict the future. Ben's good, but not that good.

2. Ben has a sense of humor, which I think is a good thing in an accountant. He always jokes and laughs as he charges me for asking him questions by phone and by email, telling me that he is worth every penny. (And he is!)

3. He takes me out for lunch (though I'm convinced I get charged on the back end) a couple times a year, which is always nice.

4. He thinks I'm funny (though that may cost extra).

5. He is very organized and meticulous, two qualities I admire greatly.

6. And did I mention he said he would read my blog if I wrote about him?

So here's to you, Ben, and to all the hard-working accountants out there, looking to help their clients save a few bucks come tax time. And when you get home tonight at midnight, pop open a nice cold one, kick back, and read this. After all, Ben, this blog's for you (at least for today).

2 comments:

larissaschwartz said...

I need a Ben! And I've decided that Ben needs his own "Real Men of Genious" Bud Light commercial.

Maybe not that one but something like. . .Mr. Super Organized Funny Accounting Refund Maker.

The song I'll be singing is Mr. IRS Form 4-8-6-8 Extention Application.

Time extention - yeah!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Chevy Impala (because it's a sensible car driver)!