Monday, March 10, 2008

Talk about telling the truth... Did you hear about Spitzer's boneheaded move?

You just can't make this stuff up. Heck, I almost feel sorry for the guv.

When last I checked, at around 4:00 p.m. EDT today, Governor Spitzer had not officially resigned, but soon come, I'm guessing (per comments he made).

While I personally believe that prostitution should be made legal -- and safe and highly regulated and taxed -- I do not make the laws. And when last I checked, prostitution (which I just had to explain to my 9.75-year-old daughter, who didn't blink -- no comments from the peanut gallery, thank you very much) was still illegal, and Spitzer, as NY Attorney General, one of prostitution's greatest enemies.

Oh, how the mighty (hypocritical) have fallen.

To quote from The New York Times article:

"Mr. Spitzer gained national attention when he served as attorney general with his relentless pursuit of Wall Street wrongdoing. As attorney general, he also had prosecuted at least two prostitution rings as head of the state’s organized crime task force.

"In one such case in 2004, Mr. Spitzer spoke with revulsion and anger after announcing the arrest of 16 people for operating a high-end prostitution ring out of Staten Island."

This whole thing (and there is still much we do not know) has left a bad taste in my mouth (and I didn't even get paid for it, unlike a certain "model" who made $5,500).

What was Spitzer thinking? (Though I guess we know which organ he was thinking with back on February 13, the night, before Valentine's Day no less, he "allegedly" met with a prostitute.)

Added at 4:35 p.m.: Just saw this reader comment on the NYTimes.com: "Do any of our elected officials have any morals not to mention common sense?" To which I think we can all safely answer, probably not. To read more about this issue and reader comments, go to http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/i-apologize-to-the-public/.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeebus, what a mess. So is the Lt. Guv any good? I don't see how Spitzer survives this politically.

J. said...

Thank you for your comment, Betty. I am embarrassed to say that I had to look up who the Lt. Gov. of NY was. Turns out it is a gentleman by the name of David Paterson, a legally blind African-American, who is considered "a thoroughly decent guy," according to a politician quoted in this article in the Wall Street Journal, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120519342150925687.html?mod=googlenews_wsj. So Spitzer's resignation could be a good thing. (The folks on Wall Street were sure excited by the prospect, though the market still SUCKS.)Will be interesting to see what happens...

Dave S. said...

What was he thinking? This: I will not get caught. Classic case of self-delusion.

This kind of behavior is by no means limited to politicians, although politics may indeed attract this kind of personality.

Interestingly, from what I have read about this the initial focus was on how Spitzer hid the cash transfers by keeping them under $10K each. Of course, a series of under-$10K transfers is going to raise flags in certain quarters, but investigators thought it was a bribery/corruption situation.

You will say that he should have known this, and I am sure that the rational part of his brain knew exactly what he was getting into. However, the rational part of his brain was not in control during those times.

Coming up next: Couch Time for the (soon-to-be-former) Governor!