Thursday, January 10, 2008

Glowing Green Pigs, NFL Cheerleaders, Stag Mag, and Toga Parties

Forget about green eggs and ham. Now we have green ham -- hold the eggs. Yes, dear reader, scientists have done it again. Not to be outdone by their South Korean counterparts, who made a bunch of kittens glow red under ultraviolet light, some Chinese scientists have managed to make a bunch of piglets glow fluorescent green under ultraviolet light. Why, do you ask? Good question.

According to a report by the Associated Press, making the pigs glow fluorescent green "could lead to the future breeding of pigs for human transplant organs," a Chinese university reported -- that is, of course, if you don't mind your new organs glowing green in the dark. To learn more about this fascinating experiment, click on the link above.

On a lighter note (perhaps a pale pink or a baby blue?), I received two very interesting freelance writing opportunities in my in box this week. The first, which was on a mailing list I subscribe to, sought "writers for NFL Cheerleaders Blog." Writers, according to the posting, do not need to have professional writing experience, just be able to write at a high school level, not use swear words, and know who is hot and who is not. Alas, I am not up on my NFL cheerleaders, so I passed. But if any of you want to get up your pompoms for the cause, let me know and I'll send you the link.

About the same time I found the above, I received a solicitation (from my listing on Mediabistro.com) to write for a new, soon-to-be-launched lad mag called "Simply Stag." Unfortunately, in my stomach-flu-induced haze (I am happy to say I much better now), I deleted the request after my reply bounced (no such domain). But in his email the author, who my friend, Steven, discovered was a recent graduate of UNLV, and probably not to be taken seriously, said he read a lot of my work (could it have been my fascinating discussion of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure or how small businesses can get discount shipping?) and thought I had an edge that would suit his new magazine, a publication for the guy who knows who he is and is proud of it (whatever that means).

I have to admit, a part of me thought it would be great fun to write for a lad mag, as I am rather fond of men, sports, cars, politics, and beer. (I am trying to keep this entry PG.) But alas, I fear it is not to be. I don't work for unfunded startups and as I just wrote my reply bounced. Not a good sign. But keep your eyes out for "Simply Stag." One day it could be on a newsstand near you.

Speaking of men and beer...

John Tierney of The New York Times had a wonderful entry in his blog on January 5 entitled "The Science of Toga Parties," which I felt I had to share. The entry was based on a study published in the January issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.

The headline of the press release: "Inside college parties: surprising findings about drinking behavior." Surprising to whom, I wondered? (Apparently to scientists working at universities who have never been to a keg party.)

The study's main findings:

1. People who go to parties with drinking games have higher blood-alcohol concentrations.
2. "Young women at theme parties, especially with sexualized themes and costumes, drink more heavily than men."

To this I respond, duh. But hand it to those researchers, they put in a lot of time and effort, attending 66 college parties held "close to an urban public university in southern California."

Survey says: The more you drink, the drunker you get. Nice to know our tax dollars are so well spent.

As to why women drink more, if you ever spent a night at one of these "themed" keg parties (as I unfortunately did, at MIT of all places, in my youth), you'd drink heavily, too.

4 comments:

Dave S. said...

the guy who knows who he is and is proud of it (whatever that means)...

You need look no further than my most prolific co-blogger for Exhibit A.

jjv said...

Hey, Dave does your own blog not provide enough opportunities to insult me?

I wonder if you have ever read Florence King's experience of writing for Cosmo? It is hilarious and seems similiar to your opportunities here.

In fact, these "lad magazines" are not "for men who know who they are and are proud of it." Do you know why? They are filled with advice on how to be a man and attract women. They smut it up a bit to make sure these guys can say they just buy it for the pictures. I lived with a guy who got "Stuff" magazine or some such. It was filled with tips on how and what to shave, how to meet women, what to say to them and how to appear masculine. Here are the seven and possibly 8 non-political/finance/team sports publication a secure man would actually subscribe to: 1) Field and Stream; 2)Guns and Ammo; 3)Popular Mechanics; 4) National Geographic;6)Smithsonian; 7)Scientific American;8) Playboy; unless he hides his subscription or magazine from women and if so it doesn't count.

As a frequenter of such parties in my youth, if only to smash the guitars of effeminate folkies, I believe a lot of women go to them to do things they otherwise would not and alcohol helps if that is your game plan. I would have donated an organ had someone offered to pay me to go to 60 of such themed parties 20 years ago.

Finally, its a good thing "when pigs glow" is not a popular saying as we would now have to abandon it.

Dave S. said...

I probably did violate some sort of blogospheric ethical rule there. My Belichick-style apologies to JJV and sincere apologies to this site's lovely hostess; I'll keep it intramural from now on.

J. said...

A little cross-blog banter is perfectly okay, as long as you boys keep things (somewhat) civil. Carry on...