Monday, January 21, 2008

Big Blue Haze

Several people pinged me this morning about the Giants' victory over Brett Favre's Green Bay Packers (who, btw, are one of my favorite teams) last night -- and wanted to know why I didn't post something first thing this morning or even last night. The embarrassing truth is that I fell asleep in the first few minutes of the third quarter. Just keeled right over (the problem with having the HDTV flat screen in the bedroom and drinking wine on a somewhat empty stomach). Must have been my hypoglycemia acting up as it surely wasn't boredom.

I was so mortified by my not having watched the entire game that I didn't dare post until I at least watched the highlights and recaps on ESPN and SNY several times and read as many reports online as I could stomach. (Btw, if I hear placekicker Lawrence Tynes, who I think is just as cute, if not cuter, than Tom Brady, described as going from "goat to hero in a matter of minutes" one more time, I will throw up.)

The really interesting thing about last night's game to me was that even though he didn't throw a single pick (nor has he in the entire post season, unlike a certain New England QB), and was amazingly accurate with this throws, Eli Manning, who is not cuter than Tom Brady, though has a pretty foxy fiancee, still seems a bit like a deer in the headlights -- and almost as surprised as the rest of us when the Giants win.

Watch Tom Brady throw the football and you see a guy full of quiet confidence. He just looks, aims, fires. And usually hits his target. Except yesterday afternoon when the San Diego Chargers' Jammer (apt name, no?) intercepted a throw early in the game. (Seconds before Brady threw, Kenny turned to me and said, "Watch. He's going to throw a touchdown." Oops.) Watch Eli and you think (pray?), please let someone catch the ball -- and not a member of the opposing team. Maybe the guy's got a bum rap (all the sportscasters were falling all over themselves this morning saying "Eli is THE MAN," and how great he is, after saying for months how mediocre he was). We'll find out come Super Bowl Sunday.

Speaking of The Big Game, I was so excited when I heard the news this morning that I actually thought about buying tickets. Even went to StubHub.com to see how much they would set me back. While I love the Giants (and my spouse), $3200 a pop for not great seats is a bit too rich for my blood right now. And friends of ours are throwing a really fun sounding Super Bowl party (Thanksgiving in February!), which we'd hate to miss. But who knows? If the cold weather keeps up here, I may just do it. Stay tuned.

There are other things I could write about, but I actually need to get some work done while my daughter is out watching "Alvin and the Chipmunks" with a friend. Watch this space for a discussion of why I am an Obama Mama, if it's ever okay to laugh during sex, and why I may take up golf.

3 comments:

larissaschwartz said...

You slept through the final quarters of the ice bowl!? It was a good one. We'll see how things go on the final game day of this season ;-)

Anonymous said...

Now I can say this wholeheartedly: Go G-Men!

jjv said...

We forget how young Eli is. And he is in the crucible of the NY media where every error is magnified. He has shown mettle this year and I look forward to the Super Bowl. Go Giants!