Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Because a vagina is a terrible thing to waste

So when I opened NYTimes.com this morning, what should I see at the top of the page, right there in the middle, but the great big headline "Unexcited? There May Be a Pill for That!" about a new drug called Lybrido that purports to help women suffering from HSDD (Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder), aka a low sex drive.

My first reaction? Lybrido? Seriously? Did George Jetson's dog Astro name this thing? ("Jane doesn't want to have sex with George anymore? Ruh-roh. Rust be something wrong with her lybrido!")

My next reaction, Sure, announce this after Saturday Night Live goes on summer break.

And finally, so when did a woman not wanting to have sex several times a week with her husband -- the guy she's been married to for a billion years, who is rarely at home, who doesn't understand what it's like to deal with three hormonal teenagers, who never asks her how she's doing, and plays golf with his buddies on the weekend* -- become a disease that needed to be treated? Puh-lease. If that was the case, almost every woman in my County would be required to take Lybrido.

Joking aside, though, I get that there are women out there who can't get it up psychologically and would welcome a pill that makes you horny. (Usually a glass of Champagne and some oysters do it for me, or a good pastrami and turkey sandwich on rye, but I'm easy.)

Me, I'm waiting for scientists to develop a pill that stops people from acting like jerks. (Just think of the name possibilities!)

*Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

No comments: