Friday, September 5, 2008

Talk about a "task from God": Giants continue winning streak, beat Redskins 16 - 7 in season opener

Are you ready for some football?! I said: ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?! (Man, do I miss Hank Williams Jr.'s Monday Night Football song.) Here at J-TWO-O Central, we have been very excited. How excited? Allow me to share the following exchange that occurred at my daughter's elementary school yesterday (Thursday):

So Mr. H., a fifth grade teacher at our daughter's school, says to our daughter and some other students, "Hey kids. There's a special event tonight [it was Open House, where the parents get to meet the teachers and sign up for stuff]. Can anyone here tell me what it is?"

So our daughter, A., quietly raises her hand, and Mr. H. calls on her."Yes, A.?"

And A. says, "Tonight the New York Giants are playing the Washington Redskins. It's the season opener."

Gosh, I love her.

(Mr. H. loved her answer, too. According to A., who honestly thought the game was the biggest event happening last night, and it may indeed have been, according to what I've been hearing about McCain's speech, Mr. H. laughed and told A. she was very smart.)

Yes, dear readers, I shamelessly admit we have been counting the days since the Giants sent Tom Brady and the Patriots packing last Super Bowl Sunday (Best. Super Bowl. Ever.) to last night's season opener, hoping our beloved New York Giants would continue their winning streak. And last night's game against the Washington Redskins did not disappoint (well, at least us Giants fans).

Of course, the spouse and I completely missed the first half, because apparently our daughter's elementary school is run by a bunch of spiteful New England Patriots fans, who decided to hold Open House the same day and time as the New York Giants' season opener. But thanks to technology, in the form of my spouse's trusty BlackBerry, we were able to catch the score (as did the father of another student who was sitting next to us in class). Our bad.

I wouldn't say the Giants "throttled" the Redskins like Judy Battista wrote in today's New York Times, but Eli (as in Manning) and Co. looked way more confident than they did at the start of last season (when they dropped the first two games), and this with a lot of last year's roster missing.

Will the Giants make it to Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa in February? Dunno. But I'll be watching.

In other football news... In case you didn't hear, it's official: Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson has officially changed his last name to "Ocho Cinco." And apparently jerseys are flying off store shelves.

(So what do you think, J-DOS-O? Has kind of a ring to it... )

2 comments:

Dave S. said...

From the writeup it sounds like the score could have been much worse for the Redskins. Kudos to the Giants' D.

I have been living in the DC area (I guess I have to say that now) for 19 years and have been mystified that the last 14 or so years has seen no diminution of Skins' fans annual perception of their team as Super Bowl bound despite all evidence to the contrary on the field. The NFC East is lucky to have Dan Snyder in their division.

Full disclosure: I am NOT a Skins fan. Go, um, Bills! Yes, there, I said it.

Anonymous said...

Go Bills!? Wow - someone willing to reveal a soft spot for Buffalo.

Ok I'll admit it, after spending 14 years in good ole Buffalo, I've got one too.

But I'm no die-hard, license plate framing, bumper stickering, flag waving fan. I just like football season. It's a great excuse (wait, reason!) to spend entire Sundays on the couch.