Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not a former "Gossip Girl"... Why you need to check out Duffy... And why Boomer Esiason is a class act

Wow. I just found out that Cecily von Ziegesar, the author of the popular Gossip Girl books, went to my high school. Scary.

For the record, none of the girls in my class (several years ahead of Ms. von Ziegasar) were like those characters on the CW show of the same name, at least as far as I knew, though, full disclosure, I have never watched a full episode of the show (only a few minutes here and there, which quickly led me to change the channel), and I did not have full knowledge of the 24/7 goings-on of my 30 classmates.

Yeah, a few of my friends (we were a pretty tight knit bunch) may have been a bit on the wild side (almost all of us had gone to Studio 54, Danceteria, Limelight, and one club or another during high school, and occasionally had a drop of alcohol), but trust me, none of it would have made for great reading or good TV. Von Ziegasar clearly must have been writing about some other, gossip-worthy girls. ; )

Just about the only Gossip Girl-ish thing about me is, possibly, my taste in music.

As many of you who regularly read my blog know, I stumbled across new artist Duffy, a 23-year-old soulful rock singer out of Wales, a few weeks ago. Her single, Mercy, which I listen to all the time, ROCKS. And Duffy's album, Rockferry (which is featured on the Gossip Girl book site, which I link to above), just went on sale here in the States. (I am reserving judgement of and waiting to purchase the entire album until I've heard more tracks.)

And on a totally unrelated topic... Here's why I love Norman Julius "Boomer" Esiason (hey, with a name like "Norman Julius," especially if you play football, you'd have a way cooler nickname too), co-host of the morning "Boomer and Carton" show on WFAN (660 AM, New York's flagship radio station for sports) and former NFL great: So a few weeks ago, Craig Carton, Boomer's co-host, is telling the story of a man and a woman who locked themselves in a convenience store and totally pig out on crap -- that is FOOD, you dirty-minded people. So Craig asks Boomer, "If you were locked in a convenience store overnight, what would be the first thing you'd do?" Boomer's response: "I would get some Purell."

How can you not love a guy who is more concerned about personal hygiene than pigging out on Twinkies and cola -- and who has raised over $60 million for charities?!

Lastly, a big "Thank You" to Peggy at BuzzFeed for recommending my post on the green puppies. Thanks Peggy!

3 comments:

Dave S. said...

Frankly I am not sure there would be enough Purell to make it through a night in a convenience store, at least not our local 7-11 with its pervasive reek. Only my advanced mouth-breathing/nose-closing techniques, honed by braving the restrooms of the former Soviet Union, allow me to survive my intentionally rare trips thereto.

Anonymous said...

sorry, what's Purell?

J. said...

Purell is a brand of liquid hand sanitizer. I carry a travel-size bottle in my purse and keep one in my car -- and have my spouse do the same. (My child has a bottle in her backpack, but she rarely uses it.) It is a great way to fend off germs when you cannot wash your hands with soap and water.