Saturday, May 24, 2008

How about, "I'm sorry"?

By now probably everybody reading this post has heard about Hillary Clinton's unfortunate reference to young, popular, charismatic Democratic presidential candidate Bobby Kennedy (RFK) being assassinated in June 1968 when giving reasons to newspaper editors in South Dakota as to why she hasn't dropped out of the Democratic race for President yet.

Hillary apologists and supporters aside, there was clearly a part of Hillary's brain (perhaps her subconscious) that thought (and no doubt has been thinking for a while, as she made this same comment to Time back in March), What if something happened to Barack Obama in June and I had bowed out before then? Then what would the Democratic National Committee/Party do? (Of course, they would come on bended knee, begging Hillary's -- and Bill's -- forgiveness, and after refusing the crown three times, she would finally, magnanimously, accept the nomination!)

While I think we can all agree the comment was inappropriate and in bad taste -- and just plain weird -- who of us hasn't had a momentary (or longer) dark thought about something bad happening to a rival or opponent or former lover, spouse, or boss? It's human nature. However, most of us are not running for public office or would be stupid enough to voice such a comment aloud. (Hire a hitman, possibly; talk about their feelings in public, no. And no, I am NOT suggesting Hillary would ever seriously contemplate the former, though there was that weird "Sopranos"-style ad, despite what the Rush Limbaughs and Matt Drudges of the world may think.)

So here's my beef (apparently shared by the Editorial Board of The New York Times and many others): Why couldn't she just have come out and said "I'm sorry. I screwed up. What I said was stupid and inappropriate." Heck, I would have settled for just "I'm sorry." But no. Instead we get the non-apology, "I'm sorry if what I said offended anyone," which puts the onus or blame on everyone who found it offensive (i.e., everyone except Hillary).

To quote Hillary supporter Sir Elton John, "sorry seems to be the hardest word."*

Why is that, you think? Do you have a hard time saying "I'm sorry" when you've done something wrong? Do you think "I'm sorry" is overused and has lost its meaning? Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts. You won't be sorry.


*Actually, that whole song seems to have Hillary's name written all over it, though it was written (by Elton and Bernie Taupin) over 20 years ago:

What do I do to make you want me?
What have I got to do to be heard?
What do I say when it's all over
And sorry seems to be the hardest word?

It's sad, so sad,
It's a sad, sad situation,
And it's getting more and more absurd.

It's sad, so sad,
Why can't we talk it over?
Oh it seems to me
That sorry seems to be the hardest word

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

like Obama, she can't say "I screwed up!"

Obama was sitting in the pews as a racist bigot was tossing around speeches--yet Obama could not say the fact: "heh, I should not have been in there.....listening to his speeches"

then, later Obama tosses Wright under the bus....but note, Obama still has never said, "...heh, I was wrong to even be thisclose to that guy!"

with many people, it is always SOMEONE else's fault--not their own

now this pervades society, as you mention....

many people believe that they do not 'make mistakes, sin, err, et al'

I believe that we were blessed to be in industries where 'admitting failure, losses, that was a bad story, it did not sell' so often that we take 'errors' as common--which they are!

granted, some sins are far more of a concern than others

I find it quite interesting that the mainstream press for 15 years covered up for the Clintons, and excused everything away from them... (cattle futures, serial adultery, Waco annihilation of 80 kids, pushing Arafat for a Nobel, passing on eliminating Bin Laden twice, pardoning convicted drug smugglers that had ties to terrorists and their Arkansas pals, pardoning Marc Rich because he gave money to Hillary's campaign and Bill's Library, et al)

though now the mainstream media is bringing all these stories back up in prime time to bury their 'old gal'......

yet, I would submit that they are doing this practice of driving the news, instead of reporting it again with Obama: covering up Wright's bigotry, how a convicted organized crime mobster assisted in the purchase of his Chicago mansion (Rezko), and that he is thisclose to an convicted terrorist (Ayers).....

why do 'significant figures' NOT say "I'm sorry, I'm wrong" because they are not held accountable by the press (in fact, as I mentioned in many cases, they support and defend their unethical practices), and because the modern society continues to change the goal posts of right and wrong

God Bless

have a great weekend

jjv said...

I believe that John Wayne said it best in the Calvary Trilogy of John Ford. "Never apologize, its a sign of weakness."