Thursday, May 19, 2016

House finch/cowbird nestlings update

When last I wrote of the house finches (on the blog), back on April 29th, this is what their nest looked like:

[Click on photos to enlarge them.]

















Very pretty, very empty.

Then, on May 8th, I took this photo of the nest:

















As those of you who follow me on Facebook know, the four blue eggs are house finch eggs. However, the brown-speckled egg belonged to a cowbird, a parasitic bird that lays its eggs in other birds' nests and expects someone else to feed its young (often depriving the host bird's chicks sufficient nourishment).

Then, earlier this week, I glimpsed into the nest and discovered that the evil cowbird chick had hatched:

















Anticipating that the four house finch eggs were soon to follow, I went back out to the nest with my smart phone just a few minutes ago to be greeted by this sight:















That image of the cowbird nestling waiting to be fed is going to give me nightmares FOR WEEKS.

Will the four baby house finches survive?

Stay tuned....

5 comments:

Betty Cracker said...

OMG! I hope the finches are able to handle the demands of their own offspring and the cowbird chick.

VB said...

Is there anyway to help Mamma and Poppa Finch?

J. said...

@VB, it's not mom and pop who need help but their biological kids. And no, we cannot help them. Nature, it's a bitch.

Furbo said...

@VB The Prime Directive prohibits Starfleet personnel from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations :-)

VB said...

I meant is there anyway to help M/M Finch with support in feeding the babies. Furbo-I do understand the Prime Directive, but this eco-system has been interfered with from a competing civilization-so trying to right/balance the scales here in favour of the indigenous population.