Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The difference between an idiot, a jerk & an a--hole

So the other day the spouse and I were debating what the difference was between an idiot, a jerk, and an a--hole*.

I took the topic seriously. And after some deep thought and research, here's what I came up with.

[Note: In the interest of bonhomie, I will not be providing examples within each of the categories.]

An idiot is a stupid or foolish person -- someone who doesn't (necessarily) know better or is lacking in knowledge or common sense. Synonyms include cretin, dunce, moron, twit, and doofus.

A jerk is someone who knows better but doesn't care (about you or your feelings). Or per the Merriam-Webster dictionary, someone "who is cruel, rude, or small-minded." Synonyms include bastard, creep, bounder, louse, and snake.

And an a--hole? An a--hole is a jerk on steroids (figuratively, and possibly literally, speaking); someone who doesn't give a sh*t about you or your wittle feelings. He's right. You're wrong. Now get the f*ck out of the way. Synonyms include dick, prick, schmuck, and scumbag. (Hmm... I'm sensing a theme here.)

This has been a public service announcement.

*I.e., asshole

2 comments:

Betty Cracker said...

I concur. I've never considered the differences, but there are connotational subtleties, and you've outlined them admirably.

Anonymous said...

Wow, pin-point analysis.