Monday, February 17, 2014

Eat your heart out

I have tried over the years not to be or become that parent. You know the one. The one who constantly brags or boasts about their kid on Facebook or in person, whether there is something to brag or boast about or not. Or who constantly one-ups you with tales of their little genius's or athlete's or [insert whatever here]'s accomplishments.

I think I've done a pretty good job of keeping my pride (and bragging) in check. But sometimes your kid does something so awesome, so mind-blowingly sweet or thoughtful or amazing or extraordinary, you just have to brag share. And friends, today is such a day.

For today, the teenager made me (and okay, technically the spouse, too, but she really made them for me) croissants and pain au chocolats, FROM SCRATCH. Because she knew I'd been feeling blue and craving a good croissant and pain au chocolat. (I am still kvelling.)

Here is the scene that greeted me at 8 a.m. this morning as I entered the kitchen: a plate covered with hearts topped with a hot-out-of-the-oven croissant and pain au chocolat (along with orange juice and a selection of condiments).

















Never has a mother -- or this mother -- been so moved by baked goods. But OH! what baked goods! I am not exaggerating when I say these croissants and pain au chocolat were as good as -- BETTER -- than any I've had in New York or Paris. And trust me, I have eaten A LOT of croissant and pain au chocolat in my day.

However, rather than continue to drool on my keyboard prattle on about how incredibly flaky and buttery and mouthwateringly delicious these delectable morsels of French yumminess were, I will let the baked goods speak for themselves.
















Mmmm...

[And if you think the croissant and pain au chocolat were impressive, check out the teenager's food blog and its Facebook page, which has way more likes than my page does. Okay, I'm done bragging now.]

No comments: