Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dirty Blogging: An homage to the late Patrick Swayze

Alternate title: To Patrick Swayze Thanks for Everything, J-TWO-O

Though, for the record, I only saw a few of Swayze's films. I did not see Dirty Dancing, though I have used the film's signature line to my own ends numerous times. (The latest: Why is Swayze being cremated? Because... no one puts Swayze in a coffin.) I did, however, see Ghost, at least a couple of times (and may have taken a pottery class as a result). And I have now seen this classic SNL clip of Patrick Swayze and Chris Farley as dancers auditioning for a spot at Chippendales a few times.


via videosift.com

From the various tributes I have heard and read, Patrick Swayze, who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer yesterday, seemed like one of the good guys -- and certainly had the time of his life making movies for the big screen and TV and training show horses. Still, 57 is too young to die, no matter who you are.

Adios amigo.

12 comments:

larissa said...

He's gone way too soon
Thankfully he left us with
Things to smile about

Sugar Daze said...

You've never seen Dirty Dancing? Never!? And to think I attended summer camp with you!

RIP Patrick

Anonymous said...

My older daughter and I recently watched part of Dirty Dancing on T.V. -- very kitschy. You must watch it some time. After the movie, I showed her and my younger daughter the HILARIOUS SNL clip. The younger one was embarrassed to watch it!

GSA said...

Hilarious video! I didn’t know who Chris Farley was before seeing the clip, so thanks for this latest enlightenment. Have you really never seen Dirty Dancing? You must!

J. said...

Really, I have never seen Dirty Dancing (just bits of it) and still do not feel compelled to do so... but the day is still young. ;-)

Dave S. said...

You probably should see Dirty Dancing at some point, but you may not have the time of your life.

How come there was no autopsy? Because nobody sends Swayze to the coroner! Thank you and good night.

Verification word "cringin" which is appropriate given the Farley/Swayze video.

EMM said...

Before there was Baby & Johnny in Dirty Dancing, we had Jed & Toni in Red Dawn.

Not to pile on the "really" train but...really? Never seen DD? I had the soundtrack too.

The SNL tape wth Chris Farley always made me laugh.

Hearing the news yesterday made me sad. He fought hard and even worked through his illness, which was admirable.

marindenver said...

Patrick Swayze was one of life's good guys and a truly talented dancer. I heard a film critic on NPR saying that when she previewed Dirty Dancing seeing him jump off the stage into the crowd in the final scene was like a combination of Mikhail Baryshnikov and James Dean coming at you. The audience literally gasped. It wasn't the greatest movie in the world but I always watch it if it comes on TV just for his dance scenes. RIP Patrick. You will be missed.

TommyMac71 said...

God damn that's funny.....Chris Farley was brilliant (and a very big hit in the ghoul pool in years past).

You're better off for never having seen Dirty Dancing. I wish I never saw it, or 16 candles. I think 8 Candles would have been too many

David T. said...

Red Dawn is also a must see. It is a classic terrible movie that is so bad that it's great!

jadejohn said...

This is a terrible loss, for his wife-first, then for his extended family and friends, then for Hollywood. He was a great actor and now cancer took his life. Well, life is short and the unexpected does happen!

J. said...

I heard that Dirty Dancing will be airing this weekend. Maybe (maybe) I will watch it. Maybe.

Btw, @David T., there's a Red Dawn thread over on Dave S.'s blog, Potpourri for $500.