Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's next, bail out the lawyers?

I nearly spit up on my keyboard earlier this morning when, as I was perusing the front page of The New York Times Online, I came across the headline "Law Firms Feel Strain of Layoffs and Cutbacks." Immediately that little voice in my head (the one that was singing Depeche Mode's "Master and Servant" much of yesterday afternoon -- thanks Dave S.) said "uh oh, here we go again; here comes another bailout." (Though I don't think the little voice used a semicolon).

According to the article, dozens of law firms around the country, including some of the biggest and best well known, are suffering financially and, as a result, laying off associates. There are even some firms that, and I quote, "have collapsed outright... [leaving] several hundred lawyers out in the cold." Brrr.

I am trying to shed a tear for the dearly departed (i.e., recently unemployed attorneys), really, but unlike when I read the words President Elect Barack Obama, my eyes are dry -- make that bloodshot.

Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are or are married to lawyers. And these lawyers are some of the smartest, funniest, nicest people I know -- honest! -- and I would feel bad (really!) if they lost their jobs. And I would have been utterly lost without the trusts and estates attorney who helped me after my father's untimely death (and I am not just typing this because she happens to be my sister-in-law).

But should law firms be bailed out? I don't think so. (And for the record, at least as far as I have heard, no one in Congress is suggesting a legal bailout, at least not yet.) I have still yet to be convinced that the Big Three U.S. automobile manufactures deserve a bailout. And do NOT get me started about AIG (unless you want to see my head start spinning around and foam pour from my mouth).

Getting back to the subject at hand... Do you know one of the reasons why law firms are having to lay off attorneys? Fewer lawsuits. And really, is that a bad thing?

11:43 A.M.: On a totally unrelated note, I just found out my comment (#149) on Maureen Dowd's latest Op-Ed piece in The New York Times Online, "Boxers, Briefs or Silks," on Sarah Palin, is an Editor's Selection and am foaming at the mouth in a good way. If you have a few seconds, click on the link and read the article and the comment.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn, thanks for the shout-out!
It is just another case of people getting too big for their britches (perhaps they should try the THONGS instead).
GREED, it is never ending.
Having left that world of big fancy (READ: BIG SALARY) FAR behind me, I do not miss it. But, I do feel bad for those I left behind who are still wearing the golden handcuffs, they are hard to take off - The higher you get, the harder the fall...

Anonymous said...

Heck, I think we should all get in on this - I say there should be an "Architect" bail out - what do you say Architects!

Architects Unite!!!!!

jjv said...

Believe me, the Obama administration and a Democratic Congress will be the equivalent of a "lawyers full employment act." No bailout required.

However, I note that no industry has contributed more to this Country as measured by the Presidents, Senators and Congressmen produced. If we want one we will get one.

What are you going to do sue us?

J. said...

LOVE the comments.

You are welcome, "Anonymous" one. ; )

And you are right (in more ways than one), JJV. And no, sadly, I am not going to sue. Can't afford to!

Anonymous said...

I say we bail out hard-working, underpaid scribes, who are the unsung heroes of the creative class.

Dave S. said...

Don't forget otherwise-reasonable blogmasters who tolerate wingnuts on their masthead. As Sally Brown so memorably put it, "All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share."

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TommyMac71 said...

I say we bail out the bail bondsmen, just for the comedic value...

J. said...

This tragedy could sure use some comedy, Tommy.

I'm with you, Betty. Let's organize a march on the capital, or at least a write-in campaign! (Note to Team Obama: You won't have to bail me out if you HIRE ME.)

As for you, Dave, it's your own darn fault. You invited him. And he's a lawyer, so watch your step.

TommyMac71 said...

On your unrelated note....I LOVE maureen dowd. She doesn't help me penchant for smart older women...

J. said...

I just saw this comment on Digg in regard to this blog post, and it cracked me up:

"Divorce lawyers won't need the bail out. Business is picking up nicely."

Sad, but true.

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the editors pick...will be waiting for the blog on Palin Wears J's Giants thong...:)